Friday 24 January 2014

Vegetables in an Arab Spring

Often when I look at my artwork, I can vividly recall that moment in time when it was being created- where I was, conversations that I was listening too and even the emotions that I was feeling as I laid brush to paper.


Three years ago, I was in Cairo. The weather was stormy and uncertain, unusual for that that time of year. The dark clouds mirrored an uneasy feeling in the city. There was trouble in Tunisia and rumours abounded, but it all seemed so far away and so unlikely. I was more interested in getting on with my botanical art assignment for the SBA. I had just bought some purple carrots (Daucus carota)  from one of the street stalls and was looking forward to starting my sketches. 

Believe it or not, once upon a time, all carrots were purple. Although they originate from Afghanistan, purple carrots have been in Egypt for thousands of years and are even depicted on tomb walls. 

The first sign of trouble was the internet being turned off, and then the telephones.  Then the protests started. We lived in an affluent area in Cairo and we were surprised to find a small crowd on the street outside. At each building, the crowd would call up “inzil, inzil, inzil” (meaning “Come down”), and they would smile and clap and cheer as people joined them on the streets. It was all very good natured and polite. There were children and people waving flags. I went back to my painting.

Within a few hours, all hell had broken loose. Shopping centres were plundered and set on fire, the police were gone and the prisoners had all been set loose. The images that were being shown on TV were both shocking and bewildering. Cairo was in chaos. We went to bed, unsure of what would happen the next day.


The next day we woke up to the sound of army helicopters in the sky and tanks on the streets. Black smoke from fire filled the air. The mosque began to call all the men to come and defend the neighbourhood. Suddenly the streets were filled with men carrying machetes, shotguns, swords, batons, baseball bats … whatever weapon they could find. The Army began to send text messages to us all, telling people not to panic. Everyone was terrified. A curfew was set in place and people were told to close their curtains and not to venture out.  I stayed at home and painted vegetables.





Written on the side of the page- "We all have a voice"

It was a surreal and frightening few weeks. People were terrified of what might happen but with their worries came a great sense of community. People looked out for each other, shared food, swapped stories. The young men guarded the streets from attack.  Neighbours called into each other and brought dishes of hot food. There was fear, but there was enormous optimism too. 



Three years on, I find myself looking at these vegetable studies and my finished carrot painting,  and all these emotions and memories come flooding back. So much has happened since. I hope Egypt finds the peace and stability that it deserves. My Revolutionary Carrots will be submitted to the SBA this year.

11 comments:

  1. What amazing carrot paintings and an amazing story from that time in your life. I'm sure the painting process helped calm you and get you through what must have been a very disturbing period.

    I grow purple carrots from time to time and love those and other colours that are now appearing. My only issue is that the colour disappears when they're cooked, so I save them for grating in salads to preserve that beautiful colour. Good luck with the submission to SBA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jeanette. Yes, painting was very calming, in a very surreal kind of way. It was a very peculiar time. I never tried cooking the purple carrots. In Egypt they used to make a delicious jam with them, and I've had them grated raw on salads too. They are supposed to be very healthy.

      Delete
  2. Shevaun, these vegetables are painted truly beautifully and so well composed. It's incredible that they were painted so well at such a time of great stress. I hope I can make it to the Sba show this year and see them. xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really hope you can make the SBA show too, Claire! Thanks xx

      Delete
  3. I love that "I stayed at home and painted vegetables" ! I can get lost in my painting too but Ive not had to try and zone out during a revolution before! Beautiful paintings, love the notebooks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. There wasn't a whole lot to do other than paint... no internet and a curfew meant we all had a lot of time on our hands. Thanks for the nice words though!

      Delete
  4. I remember the day I read about you painting in Cairo, Under Fire, - and set off on my own botanical journey. A truly inspirational story Shevaun, and a lovely blog post. Although if I'd seen your amazing sketchbook, I might have had second thoughts! your vegetables are edible, my eyes just want to eat them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Question, when you do pieces of work like this, what are they for? With the color charts right on the page next to, and visible even if framed, are they for you? For a client? Is it a study? I'm curious why put the color blocks right on the same page? (I'm new to botanic art.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melissa, at the time I was doing the Society of Botanical Artists Diploma course and had an assignment to paint vegetables. Part of the course marks were for the sketchbook studies. I have always loved working sketchbooks so this was my favourite part of the course and working in a sketchbook is really invaluable too. Often I start a painting by pulling out all my potential paints and making a colour chart on the page, just so that I can select which paints to use. Here I have just noted which colours worked and painted them alongside the studies. It's so handy to refer back to. If you have just started botanical art, then it's a very good habit to get into.

      Delete

I love the feedback so please feel free to comment. Thank you!